"Drug use disorder was highly associated with alcohol and nicotine use disorders, with ORs (95% CIs) ranging from 2.5 (2.00–3.06) to 4.4 (3.80–5.19) across time frames and severity levels (Table 3). Twelve-month DUD was also positively associated with major depressive disorder, bipolar I, posttraumatic stress disorder, and antisocial PD (any and moderate to severe); dysthymia (any and mild); and borderline and schizotypal PDs across severity levels.
Mental Health, Drug Use, Co-Occurring Disorders and Dual Diagnosis
Data, Statistics, and Information Regarding Mental Health, Drug Use, Co-Occurring Disorders and Dual Diagnosis
"In 2012–2013, the NESARC-III [National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions–III], a large national survey of US adults, assessed 12-month and lifetime disorders, including DUDs, diagnosed according to the new DSM-5. The NESARC-III used rigorous survey and field methods and incorporated measures of functioning and detailed assessments of treatment use. The NESARC-III results indicate that the prevalence rates of 12-month and lifetime DSM-5 DUD were 3.9% and 9.9%, respectively, representing approximately 9,131,250 and 23,310,135 US adults, respectively.
"In 2016, an estimated 44.7 million adults aged 18 or older had AMI [Any Mental Illness] in the past year (Figure 54). This number represents 18.3 percent of adults in the United States. An estimated 10.4 million adults in the nation had SMI [Serious Mental Illness] in the past year, and 34.3 million adults had AMI excluding SMI in the past year. The number of adults with SMI represents 4.2 percent of adults in 2016, and the number of adults with AMI excluding SMI represents 14.0 percent of adults.
"Overall, 92 percent of clients who received outpatient services received care voluntarily, while the other 8 percent received care involuntarily."
"Of the 4,161,697 clients who received outpatient mental health treatment services at least once in April 2016 and were still enrolled in treatment on April 29, 2016, 46 percent received services in outpatient mental health facilities and 32 percent received services in community mental health centers. VA medical centers accounted for 9 percent of clients served in less than 24-hour outpatient settings, while multi-setting mental health facilities and general hospitals accounted for 4 percent each.
"Overall, 71 percent of all clients who received residential mental health treatment services on April 29, 2016, were voluntarily admitted for care, and the remaining 29 percent were admitted with an involuntary legal status."
"Of the 65,324 clients who received residential mental health treatment services on April 29, 2016, 35 percent received services in RTCs for children and 27 percent received services in RTCs for adults.
"Across all facility types, half of all clients who received inpatient mental health treatment services on April 29, 2016, were involuntarily admitted for care: 38 percent of clients were admitted with an involuntary non-forensic (non-criminal) legal status and 15 percent were admitted with an involuntary forensic (criminal) legal status.
"Of the 105,860 clients who received inpatient mental health treatment services on April 29, 2016, 32 percent were in general hospitals, 29 percent were in public psychiatric hospitals, and 28 percent were in private psychiatric hospitals."