Correctional Supervision Rate for Adults in the US

"After peaking at 3,210 offenders per 100,000 U.S. residents age 18 or older in 2007, the correctional supervision rate trended downward, falling to a low of 2,640 per 100,000 by year-end 2016 (table 4). The percentage of adults supervised by U.S. correctional system was lower in 2016 than at any time since 1993 (2,550 per 100,000) (not shown). Both the change in the correctional population and change in the U.S population had an impact on the rate. More than half (53%) of the decrease in the correctional supervision rate from 2007 to 2016 was attributed to the decrease in the number of offenders under correctional supervision (not shown). The remaining 47% resulted from the increase in the U.S. resident population age 18 or older from 2007 to 2015, which is used to calculate the rates. By year-end 2016, the correctional supervision rate fell to the lowest rate since 1993 (2,550 per 100,000), when almost 1.9 million fewer persons were supervised by U.S. adult correctional systems (not shown).

"On December 31, 2016, 1,810 offenders per 100,000 U.S. adult residents were on probation or parole. This was the same rate as in 1992 when the community supervision population was smaller by about 1.1 million offenders and the U.S. resident population was smaller by about 63 million people (not shown). The community corrections rate has declined for nine consecutive years since reaching a high in 2007 (2,240 per 100,000).

"In 2016, 860 persons per 100,000 U.S. adult residents were under the jurisdiction of state or federal prisons or in the custody of local jails. The incarceration rate has declined since 2009 (980 per 100,000) after reaching a high of 1,000 per 100,000 U.S. adult residents from 2006 to 2008. The incarceration rate had declined since 2009 and is currently at its lowest rate since 1996 (830 per 100,000) (not shown)."

Source: 

Danielle Kaeble and Mary Cowhig, "Correctional Populations in the United States, 2016," (Washington, DC: US Dept. of Justice Bureau of Justice Statistics, April 2018), NCJ250374, p. 4.
https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm...
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pu...

Region: